Defending Employees Against Workplace Retaliation
Federal and state laws prohibit employers from retaliation against employees who have filed legitimate claims against their employers. Washington, D.C., attorney Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, PA, represents employers and employees involved in claims of workplace retaliation.
Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, PA, has focused on employment law in Maryland for nearly 20 years and is recognized for its accomplishments in that area.
For more information, or to make arrangements to speak with Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, PA, please contact our Greenbelt offices.
Retaliation For Protected Activities
An employer may not fire, demote, harass, substantially change working conditions, or otherwise retaliate against an employee for making a claim and engaging in protected activity under the law. Wrongful termination and other prohibited actions under federal, state, and local laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, and the False Claims Act, and common law, include the following:
- Retaliation against a whistleblower for filing a claim under the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act
- Retaliation for filing a claim for workplace discrimination or another Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) claim
- Retaliation for filing a claim for sexual harassment
- Retaliation for requesting or using leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Retaliation for filing a claim for workers’ compensation
- Retaliation or wrongful termination of an employee who reports to authorities that the employer is engaged in an illegal activity
Handling A Retaliation Claim Related To Another Action
If an employee has in good faith made any of the above claims against his or her employer, a claim for wrongful termination or other workplace retaliation may succeed, even if the underlying claim is denied. It is extremely important that the claim is handled by a lawyer with the appropriate experience. If you would like to speak with attorney Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, PA, about a retaliation claim, please contact our Maryland office to arrange an interview.
Speak With An Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Call Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, PA, in Greenbelt at 240-297-1782 or contact the firm online to schedule an initial consultation.